Keywords and tags are very useful for users to search files faster and easier. Many popular blogs and sites do the same thing to make their content to be more searchable so that audience can search by search engine like Google. File up-loader need to assign keywords and tags. In Sharepoint view, “Enterprise Keywords” are the keywords assigned by file up-loaders, where “Tags” are the keywords categorized by system administrators. File up-loaders need to type enterprise keywords by themselves and they also need to select tags by themselves from a list called “Term Store management”.
How to setup?
To enable a library to enter Enterprise Keywords…
1. After creating a library, click “Library Tools”->”Library”->”Library Settings”.
2. Click “Enterprise Metadata and Keywords Settings” under “Permissions and Management”.
3. Tick the box “Enterprise Keywords” and then click “OK”.
How to use in real situation?
Now when you upload a file to the library, you can enter the enterprise keywords to the file and make it easy to be searched.
To setup and create tags…
1. After creating a library, go to “Site Actions” and then “Site Settings”.
2. Click “Term store and management” under “site Administration”
3. In the “Site Collection – sharepoint”, left click it and select “New Term Set”.
4. Enter the tag category you want to classify. For example, “job” or “document_type” or other nature of the file.
5. Then you can right click on the tag category and select “Create Term” to add tags. If you want to add more tags, just press Enter and then enter another tag and so on.
6. Make sure the option “Available for Tagging” is ticked. After that you can close the page.
To add compulsory columns to the library…
1. Go to “Library Settings”, click “Create column” under “Columns”.
2. Now you need to add a column to let users to select the tag categories you created before. Enter the new column name such as “Job” and select “Managed Metadata”.
3. If you require users to select the job number, select “Yes” in “Require that this column contains information:”. If you want users to select multiple values, select “Allow multiple values”.
4. Then go to “Term Set Settings” and select the tag category, such as “job”.
5. If you have a default value of the column, enter it in “Default Value”.
6. After checking all information, click “OK” to confirm.
How to use in real situation…
Now, when you upload a file, you need to select the tag in column “Job” by typing of clicking the tag button.
When you search…
Now, when you search a file’s file name, such as “testing”, there is a selection on the left called “Job” and you can select the job number to narrow the results.